Nangarhar governor’s Spokesman Attaullah Khogyani confirmed on Friday that 16 civilian have been killed in air attack in Nangarhar, adding that identity of those killed in the airstrike is not clear so far.
At least 16 civilians were killed in an airstrike carried out by foreign forces in Nangarhar province, KHogyani said.
Hajji Saz Wali, the governor of the Haska Meena District in the southern part of Nangarhar Province, said the victims included women and children; eight were from one family, and four others from a second family.
The victims died Thursday afternoon when the vehicles they were traveling in were hit by American airstrikes believed to be targeting Islamic State militants in the area, Mr. Khogyani said. It is not known how many were wounded, he added.
According to the source, the incident took place in Haska Mina district when an airstrike targeted a civilian vehicle on Thursday evening.
The source said women and children were among the victims.
The Resolute Support and US forces in Afghanistan have not commented on the report so far.