At least three people died and 55 others were wounded when a bomb exploded Friday at a mosque in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar, officials told EFE.
Provincial police, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said “the explosion occurred inside the Hisarak Jame Mosque in Rudat district,” where a large crowd of worshipers had gathered to pray on the first Friday of Ramadan.
“The imam of the mosque and his two children were killed in the attack,” Attaullah Khogyani, the spokesperson for the provincial governor, said.
No group has yet claimed responsibility for the attack, which occurred in a province where both the Taliban and the Islamic State have a presence.
The Taliban had announced a few days ago that they would step up attacks during Ramadan, which began on Monday.
No claims of responsibility typically follow attacks on mosques in Afghanistan, which are rare and normally occur during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
The Afghan government has carried out a major offensive in Nangarhar to end the presence of the IS, with the armed forces declaring in March that the jihadists had been defeated there.